The Academic Misconduct Rule describe the University's expectations for academic integrity on the part of students in their academic practice, and staff responsibilities in developing and promoting academic integrity and penalising academic misconduct.
This page includes information for staff; if you are a student you should refer to the Students Academic honesty and plagiarism page.
What do I need to do?
If you identify something that may constitute a breach of academic integrity, the suspected case should be passed to the relevant course convener. Note even if a student withdraws from a course, a potential breach of academic integrity in that course will still need to be investigated to its conclusion.
If you are a course convener, you will need to review any information, and if it appears there may be a breach, meet with the student and make a determination. This is outlined in the Course Convener Academic Integrity Flowchart.
Complete the Course Convener Academic Integrity Checklist. There are correspondence templates available for you to make the process as straightforward as possible.
If you are unsure or have questions, make sure you contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can help you work through the process.
What happens in the process?
The flowchart and checklist will take you through the process, which involves:
- Determining whether a breach may have occurred (see What is a breach? and Examples).
- Meeting with the student.
- If the breach constitutes 'Poor academic practice', counselling the student appropriately. (see Determining Academic Misconduct and Poor Academic Practice)
- If the breach might be more serious, referring it to ASQO for us to escalate it to your Associate Dean or the Deputy Vice-Chancellor. (see Inquiry Officer (Associate Dean) Academic Integrity Flowchart (PDF, 51KB))
- Academic Misconduct Rule
- Guide - What is a breach?
- Guide - Determining Academic Misconduct and Poor Academic Practice
- Example academic integrity breaches and levels
Flowcharts and checklists
- Academic Integrity Master Flowchart (PDF, 84KB)
- Course Convener Academic Integrity Flowchart (PDF, 50KB)
- Course Convener Academic Integrity Checklist (DOCx, 32KB)
- Inquiry Officer (Associate Dean) Academic Integrity Flowchart (PDF, 51KB)
- Inquiry Officer (Associate Dean) Academic Integrity Checklist (DOCx, 34KB)
See the Course Convener and Associate Dean Academic Integrity Checklists above for appropriate use of each template.
- Template 1 - No Breach
- Template 2 - Student meeting request (Convener)
- Template 3 - Outcome: Poor academic practice (Convener)
- Template 4 - Possible misconduct referred to Registrar
- Template 5 - Student meeting request (Associate Dean)
- Template 6 - Outcome: Poor academic practice (Associate Dean)
- Template 7 - Notice of Inquiry
- Template 8 - Outcome: No breach (Associate Dean)
- Template 9 - Outcome: Poor academic practice (Associate Dean)
- Template 10 - Outcome: Academic Misconduct (Associate Dean)
- Template 11 - Outcome: Serious misconduct/Research misconduct (Associate Dean)